Saturday 1 August 2015

POP! Movies - Stay Domo Funko POP! (Domo X Ghostbusters)

Series: POP! Movies
Year: 2015
RRP: $16.95

Ghostbusters is one of those films that I really like, but don’t feel like I love as much as I’m “supposed” to. Lots of my friends were obsessed with it as children, but I didn’t see it until 15 or so, and didn’t enjoy it. But I watched it again in my early 20s and thought it was fantastic. So I’m a fan, but I don’t think I own a copy and I’m still yet to see the second film. Maybe I just came to it too late in life, and it just didn’t make the impression on me that, say, Star Wars did. 

Yet just the other week, I found myself in a local EB Games store and spotted Stay Domo on the shelf. I had a bit of store credit handy, so I decided to take the plunge.  

Domo-kun has picked up a lot of mainstream popularity in the last few years in the Western world, thanks to a combination of a Western fascination with all things Japanese and clever marketing. He began life as the mascot for NHK, a Japanese television station, but has now generated a large market of products that seem to be centred solely around his cuteness.

As you might assume by the name and license, Stay Domo is designed to look like Stay Puft were he Domo-kun. He is heavy. Lacking the hollow head of his fellow POP compadres, he is a satisfyingly chunky piece of plastic. But he balances nicely, and you shouldn't have any issues with him falling over -- unlike Ant-Man.

Now to paint – in news that will not shock anyone who’s read any of my previous POP reviews – is pretty sloppy. His mouth isn’t completely filled and the blue on his napkin is quite fuzzy around the edges, particularly on his back. It would have been pretty normal a few years ago, but these days it's a little below Funko's average. 

There were three POPs released as part of this series; Stay Domo, Domo in a Ghostbusters outfit and Domo as Slimer. All of them are cute, but Stay Domo and Slimer are the best. But why a Domo/Ghostbusters crossover? Well, last year was the 30th anniversary of Ghostbusters, so I assume that’s the connection, however tenuous it may be. Though were we to draw a Venn diagram of Domo fans and Ghostbusters fans, I’m not sure how much overlap there would be.  

Nonetheless, it's intriguing enough to catch the eye and my attention -- as evidenced by my purchase. I'm not sure how long he'll stay in the collection, but he's an amusing novelty in the meantime.



1 comment:

  1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Funko hasbro

    ReplyDelete