Wednesday 1 June 2016

Funko Mystery Minis Horror Classics Series 2: The Creature From The Black Lagoon

Company: Funko
Series: Mystery Minis Horror Classics Series 2
Year: 2015

It's no secret that I love Creature From The Black Lagoon. It's one of my favourite movies, and Gillman one of my favourite monsters, but I'll spare you my gushing on this occasion. Today, we're here to talk about his recent conversion into Mystery Mini form.

Given that Mystery Minis are by their nature meant to be quite simplified, Gillman here has quite a detailed sculpt, with lots of little ridges and (strangely enough) gills sculpted all over his face, back and limbs. Even the palms of his hands are textured! Yet it never looks excessive, or distracts the eye. He still looks right at home with his Mystery Mini companions.

Paint isn't perfect, but it's pretty solid given the scale. He's been given some brown/grey dots over his body, which complement nicely with his dull green skin. His teeth and claws have been picked out in a colour we would have called "Bleached Bone" back in my Warhammer days, and the stomach's a nice yellowy-brown. It doesn't pop quite as much as the POP (ha!) did, but given the differing style and the fact that no one really seems to be too sure what colour the original suit was anyway, I think it works just fine.

There have been a few Gillman POPs from Funko already, which were excellent, so I had high hopes for this guy. After the slight letdown of Frankenstein's Monster I was a little concerned, but upon his arrival in the post I was extremely pleased. This is a great piece to add to the collection for Gillman fans -- now I just wish they'd extend the cast slightly. A Mystery Mini Julia Adams to accompany Gillman would be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment